Migrating to x86_64

This evening, i decided to remove my Slackware-Current installation on my old Asus laptop which is still at 32 bit architecture and replace it with Slackware 14.2 64 bit architecture. The reason is simple: more and more upstream projects are supporting only for x86_64. Google, Facebook, Apple, and many big companies invest heavily on x86_64 architecture which has better future. It supports more memory without the use of PAE and better overall performance. Another reason is because i want to play more with Docker, which is (again) only available for x86_64 platform. Docker is now considered mature and ready to be deployed into production environments, so it's time to learn more about it.

I decided to stay with Slackware64 14.2 instead of going with -current for this laptop. I simply use the dual-side DVD of Slackware64-14.2 i got from Slackware Store and install it directly on the laptop. I formatted the old drive and in just under 15 minutes, the full installation is completed.

Next thing was to grab latest patches from -stable repository and i noticed that the wireless LAN was detected, but it wasn't working, so i grab a LAN cable for the initial setup. Later on, i found out that latest firmware from Intel for my WLAN device included in the kernel-firmware package (iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode) is not working as i got lots of error messages in dmesg. I used to wrote about this on this blog back in 2009 and it was working with previous version of iwlwifi driver (iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode), so i tried to remove the iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode and rebooted and i can connect to my WiFI at home. Lucky for me i always wrote all the steps i have done on my blog so it can be used as self-reminder.

Next, i download latest patches, installing sbopkg and building third party applications, and copying back my data from the other computer. It took some time but it finally ended after dinner and before my kids went to bed. I was able to build docker on this laptop but i haven't tried to play with it much further. I did play a bit on my new laptop while i was in the office today. I bought an online course from Udemy for $10 about Docker with Bret Fisher.

Oh, if you are having problems building Docker from SBo, most likely it was because you forget to logout and login again after installing google-go-lang. It was needed to set up the new environment (GOROOT) which is needed for other projects that depends on google-go-lang. Don't forget to use "su -" so you have full root environment instead of just regular "su".

Popular posts from this blog

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

Python 3.6.0 in SBo 14.2 repository

Security Update: Thunderbird, Seamonkey, libpng, python, samba