digiKam5 for Testing
digiKam 5.0.0 is released after two years of porting to Qt5. This is a new major release and it brings another new features besides the porting itself:
- Robust multi-core/multi-threaded implementation
- Virtual digiKam trash folder
- Improve the metadata workflow and introducing Lazy Synchronization tool
- kipi-plugins to Qt5
- MySQL/MariaDB interface (still experimental)
- Framework 5 architecture is a giant beast. Finding the correct dependency for all tier 2/3/4 will be very time consuming, so it's easier to build them according to the build order that have been done by AlienBOB (big thanks for him). I have provided an automated build script (taken from MSB) to build Framework 5 on top of Slackware 14.2 with some modifications. NOTE: not all sub modules of Framework 5 are added, only the one needed for digiKam are provided. See the complete list here.
- Framework along with Plasma and Applications are a moving target since they will release a new version every month. We have to make sure all scripts depending on Framework 5 works when they are added into SBo.
- Not all optional dependencies have a released a stable releases; some only in git snapshots, so it's better to wait until they have proper releases.
- We hope that next Slackware release will make use of KDE 5. This will simplify my job to build digiKam on top of next Slackware release since the underlying deps are already included in Slackware.
- GeoLocation support (requires Marble)
- VKontakte support (requires git snapshot of libkvkontakte)
- Digital scanner support (requires libksane)