Thursday, April 23, 2015

Recompiling All Third Party Packages

With all those big updates yesterday, surely there are lots of third party applications that were affected by the update. In my own machine, my MATE is no longer working as it linked to the old icu4c library. I found many other packages that are currently broken after i decided to upgrade to the latest update in -current.

I had to switch back to KDE 4.14.3 and remove all KDE 5 installation so that i can fire up my desktop again and start fixing things. Since this morning, i tried to rebuilt webkitgtk and webkitgtk3 packages. It requires lots of time to finish building, so i left my machine running while i went to work. I will continue to build others when i got home later.

I also tried to upgrade my workstation in the office, but since i already know what will happened, i have made some preparation of list of packages that will be broken as well.

For this week, i think i'm focusing on recompiling all third party packages (MSB, SBo, CSB, etc) that are installed on my machines. With all those goodies, it's also a good chance to test newer version against next Slackware release although it's still long way to go. At least, i can try to build new Cinnamon which requires newer glib and many gtk+ libraries.

Again, thanks to Pat and the team behind Slackware development.