Things were quite different with the same package but aiming for Slackware 14.1. We still have some time frame to add more packages to provide users more options and basic applications to work with MATE desktop. So, as a result, here are some changes that are added into MATE 1.6 for the upcoming Slackware 14.1:
- Mate-media is now buildable, but it will not allow you to add volume control applet from their desktop. This is caused by newer glib in Slackware 14.1 which deprecates the gst_mixer
- dconf and xdg-utils patch are now removed as they are included in Slackware 14.1, but running two commands to associate caja is still needed to be done manually. It's a one-time command, so run it and forget it. See the KNOWN_ISSUES.TXT for more information about this.
- Moved mate-system-monitor in /extra. This will allow you to monitor your system's process, resources, and file systems.
Unfortunately, it comes with a number of new dependencies that are now provided in /extra as well (previously users will need to download and build this dependencies themselves from SBo Project):
- We are still testing for a new package: mate-system-tools, which is a cross-platform tools to manage your desktop/workstations for basic configurations, such as managing users, time and date, services, shared folders, networking, and printing. It will add several new entries in System > Administration menu.
They are now merged to current-mate-1.6 and master.
This package also requires some new dependencies that are provided as well:
- We are planning to move mate-bluetooth to /extra as it works and no reports so far, so hopefully it will be moved once we are finished with mate-system-tools process.
For those who wanted to help, just clone our GIT repo and switched to current-mate-1.6 branch and start building all of them into your machine. Tell us about your experience on MATE 1.6 on top of Slackware-Current (aka 14.1).