Skip to main content

Udev Changed The Rule

After upgrading my laptop to the latest Slackware-Current, i noticed that my WLAN is no longer detected. I checked the dmesg message and it said that it has an old API version.
Firmware has old API version, expected v5, got v3.
Since iwlwifi-* packages has been removed from -Current, i went to Intel Wireless to download the latest version and i found iwlwifi-1000-ucode-39.31.5.1.tgz. I plunged the new firmware and removed the old one iwlwifi-1000-ucode-128.50.3.1 and rebooted.Somehow, it doesn't work well and it still doesn't load.

After looking at the ChangeLog again, there has been an upgrade to udev package and i'm wondering if these changes might change the naming rule. So i checked /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and got the following :

# PCI device 0x8086:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:03:00.0 (iwlwifi)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1e:64:1c:9c:c2", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"

# PCI device 0x8086:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:03:00.0 (iwlwifi) SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1e:64:1c:9c:c2", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan1"


It's basically the same device, but it was changed from wlan0 to wlan1. So, i comment the last line (wlan1) and put back the old firmware (iwlwifi-1000-ucode-128.50.3.1) into /lib/firmware and rebooted and voila... my WLAN is now working normally again

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"slackspot"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX   
          Bit Rate=135 Mb/s   Tx-Power=14 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=62/70  Signal level=-48 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:71  Invalid misc:1   Missed beacon:0
 
UPDATE (15 July 2012): It seems that i forgot to install kernel-firmware which already includes all the firmware needed, but since i only need one firmware, it's easier to download the source and put the firmware in /lib/firmware and it's done

Popular posts from this blog

Running Rsync Via Proxy

One way to get the latest Slackware updates is by running rsync to syncronize your local repository and the main repository that hold the Slackware packages. Eric Hameleers has provided a great script called rsync_current.sh and how i modified this tool has been discussed on my previous post. In general, it works, except for one problem, when your computer is connecting to the Internet through a proxy.

My workstation at my office is connected to the Internet through a proxy, so i can't use normal rsync to work normally. I browsed the web and i found this site which tells us about how we should modify our squid configuration to allow rsync connection from any computer from our local networks. I asked my sysadmin to try this script. He agreed and he updated the squid configuration on the proxy.

Next, i need to update my environment variable RSYNC_PROXY to the host of the proxy and also the port. Let's say you are running a proxy on 192.168.1.1 and port 8080, then you need to run …

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

NVidia has released an updated legacy drivers to support X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23. It has been mentioned in the UNIX drivers, but you can directly find the drivers from the links below:
NVidia 304.134 (x86x86_64)NVidia 340.101 (x86, x86_64) I have tested the 304.134 driver and it's working great here. I can finally remove x from my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file since it's a showstopper for me.
Aside from legacy driver, NVidia has also released their latest driver 375.26 (x86, x86_64), which brings support for newer cards and also many new features (including X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23 support). 

Security Update: firefox, irssi, pidgin

Three security updates were released for today:
firefox: Upgraded to 45.4.0esr for 14.1 and 14.2 and 49.0 for currentirssi: Upgraded to 0.8.20pidgin: Upgraded to 2.10.11, 2.10.12, and 2.11.0 for all stable Slackware releases depending on their support Some minor update in current:
mkinitrd: Add dmsetup supportemacs: Upgraded to 25.1qt: Fix multilib issue network-scripts: Fix minor issue