Skip to main content

Testing Cups 1.6rc1

This morning, i upgraded my cups package to cups 1.6rc1 which i have posted yesterday. This is part of my personal testing for cups 1.6. I performed the upgrade on my old laptop which i installed Slackware-Current few days ago. This is not my primary laptop, so i can use it for my testing ground for something quite experimental.

I compiled and installed cups 1.6rc1, cups-filters, and updated foomatic-filters which i have just pushed to the cups1.6 branch on my SlackHacks. Since this is a first time installation, i have to start cups daemon first. I logged in into web interface of CUPS by accessing http://localhost:631 and configured my printer as usual. I'm using Canon Pixma 1880 printer, so i need to install cnijfilter-common-3.00 and cnijfilter-ip1800 packages which i already have. These two packages are needed to supply the PPD and also pstocanonij filter to my printer. In short time, the printer is detected without any problem. So far so good.

Next, i'm trying to activate beh, a wrapper for CUPS backends with configurable error handling. This is part of the foomatic-filters package and used  to fine-tuning how a CUPS queue should behave on failure of its backend. First, i ran lpstat -v and i got
device for CanonIP1800: usb://Canon/iP1800%20series?serial=B0026E

Next, i activate beh by using
lpadmin -p CanonIP1800 -E -v beh:/1/0/60/usb://Canon/iP1800%20series?serial=B0026E
It's that easy!!

Next is to try to perform basic operations. I started with printing the default test page from CUPS web interface and it worked well. The content of the test page has been changed if you install the cups-filters package and it gives verbose information about your printer. It's way much better than the default CUPS test page format. 

Since everything is OK, i perform the same process into my main desktop and it worked as well.

One note about my cups 1.6 package is that i increase the priority of pstops so that PDF-based way is preffered than other method. If you don't need this behaviour, please edit cups.SlackBuild and comment this line
sed -i -r -e '/\spstops$/ { s/66/100/ }' $PKG/usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs

Any suggestions for this packages? Let me know

Popular posts from this blog

Running Rsync Via Proxy

One way to get the latest Slackware updates is by running rsync to syncronize your local repository and the main repository that hold the Slackware packages. Eric Hameleers has provided a great script called rsync_current.sh and how i modified this tool has been discussed on my previous post. In general, it works, except for one problem, when your computer is connecting to the Internet through a proxy.

My workstation at my office is connected to the Internet through a proxy, so i can't use normal rsync to work normally. I browsed the web and i found this site which tells us about how we should modify our squid configuration to allow rsync connection from any computer from our local networks. I asked my sysadmin to try this script. He agreed and he updated the squid configuration on the proxy.

Next, i need to update my environment variable RSYNC_PROXY to the host of the proxy and also the port. Let's say you are running a proxy on 192.168.1.1 and port 8080, then you need to run …

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

NVidia has released an updated legacy drivers to support X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23. It has been mentioned in the UNIX drivers, but you can directly find the drivers from the links below:
NVidia 304.134 (x86x86_64)NVidia 340.101 (x86, x86_64) I have tested the 304.134 driver and it's working great here. I can finally remove x from my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file since it's a showstopper for me.
Aside from legacy driver, NVidia has also released their latest driver 375.26 (x86, x86_64), which brings support for newer cards and also many new features (including X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23 support). 

Security Update: firefox, irssi, pidgin

Three security updates were released for today:
firefox: Upgraded to 45.4.0esr for 14.1 and 14.2 and 49.0 for currentirssi: Upgraded to 0.8.20pidgin: Upgraded to 2.10.11, 2.10.12, and 2.11.0 for all stable Slackware releases depending on their support Some minor update in current:
mkinitrd: Add dmsetup supportemacs: Upgraded to 25.1qt: Fix multilib issue network-scripts: Fix minor issue