Skip to main content

Strange Bug Caused by Automake

For those who have been using my SlackHack repository, this may not be a good news, but still i need to warn you before you got yourself into trouble and send me problem reports. This is a known issue for me and i need some time to fix this problem.

Recently, i added Wireshark SlackBuild on my SlackHacks which should build 1.8.0 on your machine. The SlackBuild worked fine on my primary desktop at home, but when i wanted to install the same package on my workstation, it failed at make install command with an error message like this

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.7.0/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: ui/gtk/libgtkui.a(libgtkui_a-plugins_dlg.o): undefined reference to symbol 'g_module_name'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.7.0/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: note: 'g_module_name' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Another problem that i found is related to GTK+3. I tried to recompile GTK+3 from my SlackHacks repository and in the end of the compilation process, i got this error message

/tmp/package-gtk3/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-3.0
make[4]: /tmp/package-gtk3/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-3.0: Command not found

I suspected that this is caused by the new automake 1.12 which was included in -Current in the last few updates. So far, i'm still unable to find any real fix for this problem and i'm still searching. The strange thing is that the same SlackBuild works on my desktop. I  tried to re-execute the SlackBuild and it compiles nicely on my machine, but not on my workstation, even though both are running the same Slackware-Current.

For those who have found a fix for this problem please let me know so that i can post an update to the SlackHack as soon as possible.

For temporary solution: please downgrade to automake-1.11 from Slackware-13.37 if you encounter like above problems

Popular posts from this blog

Running Rsync Via Proxy

One way to get the latest Slackware updates is by running rsync to syncronize your local repository and the main repository that hold the Slackware packages. Eric Hameleers has provided a great script called rsync_current.sh and how i modified this tool has been discussed on my previous post. In general, it works, except for one problem, when your computer is connecting to the Internet through a proxy.

My workstation at my office is connected to the Internet through a proxy, so i can't use normal rsync to work normally. I browsed the web and i found this site which tells us about how we should modify our squid configuration to allow rsync connection from any computer from our local networks. I asked my sysadmin to try this script. He agreed and he updated the squid configuration on the proxy.

Next, i need to update my environment variable RSYNC_PROXY to the host of the proxy and also the port. Let's say you are running a proxy on 192.168.1.1 and port 8080, then you need to run …

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

NVidia has released an updated legacy drivers to support X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23. It has been mentioned in the UNIX drivers, but you can directly find the drivers from the links below:
NVidia 304.134 (x86x86_64)NVidia 340.101 (x86, x86_64) I have tested the 304.134 driver and it's working great here. I can finally remove x from my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file since it's a showstopper for me.
Aside from legacy driver, NVidia has also released their latest driver 375.26 (x86, x86_64), which brings support for newer cards and also many new features (including X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23 support). 

Security Update: firefox, irssi, pidgin

Three security updates were released for today:
firefox: Upgraded to 45.4.0esr for 14.1 and 14.2 and 49.0 for currentirssi: Upgraded to 0.8.20pidgin: Upgraded to 2.10.11, 2.10.12, and 2.11.0 for all stable Slackware releases depending on their support Some minor update in current:
mkinitrd: Add dmsetup supportemacs: Upgraded to 25.1qt: Fix multilib issue network-scripts: Fix minor issue