No Sound on Amarok

After upgrading to Linux Kernel 3.4, i noticed that there were no sound on my desktop and workstation. I think it was because of the new kernel and i used to have this problem as well in the past. The solution was to re-execute alsaconf to detect the sound card again. This time, this trick didn't work out. Strange thing is that mpg123 works on terminal/konsole.

Since amaroK is tied with KDE's backend, i tried to change the Phonon backend to Xine and VLC (i used MPlayer as the default), but didn't work as well. I tried GStreamer, but no luck as well. So i think there were some modules in GStreamer that i didn't install on my system. I fired up my browser to download the SlackBuilds and the source from the latest version of GStreamer and all of it's modules and compiled it. Unfortunately, the latest gst-plugins-* removed one module that are required by amaroK, so i had to stay at 0.10.x series for the time being. I re-downloaded the latest 0.10.x series and once everything has been upgraded, i recompiled amaroK 2.5.0.

When amaroK has been finished compiling, i switched to Phonon Gstreamer and now amaroK is able to play MP3 files again.

Popular posts from this blog

Python 3.6.0 in SBo 14.2 repository

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

Security Update: Thunderbird, Seamonkey, libpng, python, samba