Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Slackware 13.0 on Desktop

I have just completed my Slackware 13.0 installation under 15 minutes. As usual, i did a normal installation, but i choose expert menu which enables me to select the packages i wanted to install one by one. I did unselect some packages, but it's not that much.

After installation, i created normal user and upgrade to the latest -Current packages. Everything was done under 30 minutes and i'm ready to use the new Slackware 13.0 on my desktop. This would be my main system at home where i do most of my work, so i do really need a solid, stable, secure, and simple system to work with and i'm proud that Slackware 13.0 is qualified to be my first choice.

To be honest, this is my first 13.0 Slackware installation on my own system. I never install Slackware 13.0 before on my own system. In most cases, i help my students to install Slackware on their laptops. Everything works here. My NVidia, sound card, webcam, everything works as i expected.

By the way, i tried to use the new ext4 as my default filesystem and i think it has did a great job combined with 4 GB of RAM. I haven't been able to recompile the kernel to include the PAE extension in order to identify all of the RAMs, but i will have quite luxury time next week.