Skip to main content

Fixing MySQL Problem During Upgrade

If you follow Slackware-Current, you might notice that MySQL has been upgraded into 5.1.39, which is now the GA version from MySQL, replacing the previous GA version, 5.0.xx. Like always, changes in GA might have some configuration changes which requires manual modification into the configuration files. This is the same thing i had when i upgrade to 5.1.39 in -Current today.

Normally, after the upgrade is finished, i only need to restart the MySQL daemon and everything will work, but not on this case. I posted on LQ and i got the solution less than one day. The problem lies on my /etc/my.cnf file which still has skip-federated option. It is no longer an option in 5.1.39, so when i start the server, it failed and it won't start.

The solution is to comment this line or remove it and restart your MySQL daemon by issuing /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld stop and /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld start.

It will work again big grin

Again, LQ has done a great job on helping other Slackware users thumbs up

Popular posts from this blog

Running Rsync Via Proxy

One way to get the latest Slackware updates is by running rsync to syncronize your local repository and the main repository that hold the Slackware packages. Eric Hameleers has provided a great script called rsync_current.sh and how i modified this tool has been discussed on my previous post. In general, it works, except for one problem, when your computer is connecting to the Internet through a proxy.

My workstation at my office is connected to the Internet through a proxy, so i can't use normal rsync to work normally. I browsed the web and i found this site which tells us about how we should modify our squid configuration to allow rsync connection from any computer from our local networks. I asked my sysadmin to try this script. He agreed and he updated the squid configuration on the proxy.

Next, i need to update my environment variable RSYNC_PROXY to the host of the proxy and also the port. Let's say you are running a proxy on 192.168.1.1 and port 8080, then you need to run …

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

NVidia has released an updated legacy drivers to support X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23. It has been mentioned in the UNIX drivers, but you can directly find the drivers from the links below:
NVidia 304.134 (x86x86_64)NVidia 340.101 (x86, x86_64) I have tested the 304.134 driver and it's working great here. I can finally remove x from my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file since it's a showstopper for me.
Aside from legacy driver, NVidia has also released their latest driver 375.26 (x86, x86_64), which brings support for newer cards and also many new features (including X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23 support). 

Security Update: firefox, irssi, pidgin

Three security updates were released for today:
firefox: Upgraded to 45.4.0esr for 14.1 and 14.2 and 49.0 for currentirssi: Upgraded to 0.8.20pidgin: Upgraded to 2.10.11, 2.10.12, and 2.11.0 for all stable Slackware releases depending on their support Some minor update in current:
mkinitrd: Add dmsetup supportemacs: Upgraded to 25.1qt: Fix multilib issue network-scripts: Fix minor issue