Skip to main content

Default Kernel Stock Upgraded

Today, the default kernel stock supported on Slackware-Current has been upgraded to 2.6.29.4. While the next Linux kernel (2.6.30) is still on development and it's on the way, there's no sign (for now) to include them on -Current tree as it has to be tested and passed some internal testing from Slackware crew first. Probably after 2.6.30.1 or .2, it will be considered as stable, as usually the first final release of next version contains lots of features and sometimes bugs are not yet fixed due to limited time frame for testing.

Here's the latest -Current changelog:
Fri May 29 17:24:03 CDT 2009
a/kernel-firmware-2.6.29.4-noarch-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4 firmware.

a/kernel-generic-2.6.29.4-i486-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4.

a/kernel-generic-smp-2.6.29.4_smp-i686-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4.

a/kernel-huge-2.6.29.4-i486-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4.

a/kernel-huge-smp-2.6.29.4_smp-i686-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4.

a/kernel-modules-2.6.29.4-i486-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4 modules.

a/kernel-modules-smp-2.6.29.4_smp-i686-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4 modules.

ap/vim-7.2.191-i486-1.txz: Patched vimrc to add the option 'set backupskip+=/var/spool/cron/*', which should fix the problems with using vim with "crontab -e". Note that if a global vimrc already exists the new one will be installed as vimrc.new and must be moved into place.
Thanks to Rodrigo Bistolfi for the patch.

d/gettext-tools-0.17-i486-3.txz: Recompiled against libgcj.

d/kernel-headers-2.6.29.4_smp-x86-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4 headers.

k/kernel-source-2.6.29.4_smp-noarch-1.tgz: Upgraded to Linux 2.6.29.4 source.

xap/MPlayer-r29328-i486-1.txz: Upgraded to MPlayer-r29328.

xap/vim-gvim-7.2.191-i486-1.txz: Recompiled.

xap/xine-lib-1.1.16.3-i486-3.txz: Recompiled.

extra/linux-2.6.29.4-nosmp-sdk/: Regenerated SMP to no-SMP kernel source patch.

isolinux/initrd.img: Rebuilt with newly compiled kernel modules.

kernels/*: Rebuilt.

usb-and-pxe-installers/: Rebuilt usbboot.img with newly compiled kernel modules.

Popular posts from this blog

Running Rsync Via Proxy

One way to get the latest Slackware updates is by running rsync to syncronize your local repository and the main repository that hold the Slackware packages. Eric Hameleers has provided a great script called rsync_current.sh and how i modified this tool has been discussed on my previous post. In general, it works, except for one problem, when your computer is connecting to the Internet through a proxy.

My workstation at my office is connected to the Internet through a proxy, so i can't use normal rsync to work normally. I browsed the web and i found this site which tells us about how we should modify our squid configuration to allow rsync connection from any computer from our local networks. I asked my sysadmin to try this script. He agreed and he updated the squid configuration on the proxy.

Next, i need to update my environment variable RSYNC_PROXY to the host of the proxy and also the port. Let's say you are running a proxy on 192.168.1.1 and port 8080, then you need to run …

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

NVidia has released an updated legacy drivers to support X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23. It has been mentioned in the UNIX drivers, but you can directly find the drivers from the links below:
NVidia 304.134 (x86x86_64)NVidia 340.101 (x86, x86_64) I have tested the 304.134 driver and it's working great here. I can finally remove x from my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file since it's a showstopper for me.
Aside from legacy driver, NVidia has also released their latest driver 375.26 (x86, x86_64), which brings support for newer cards and also many new features (including X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23 support). 

Security Update: firefox, irssi, pidgin

Three security updates were released for today:
firefox: Upgraded to 45.4.0esr for 14.1 and 14.2 and 49.0 for currentirssi: Upgraded to 0.8.20pidgin: Upgraded to 2.10.11, 2.10.12, and 2.11.0 for all stable Slackware releases depending on their support Some minor update in current:
mkinitrd: Add dmsetup supportemacs: Upgraded to 25.1qt: Fix multilib issue network-scripts: Fix minor issue