Friday, February 6, 2009

Converting OOo 3.0.1 Using rpm2tgz

Shortly after i found out that OOo 3.0.1 has come out few weeks ago, i downloaded the binary package (tar.gz) and use SlackBuild script from Slackbuilds project to convert the into a single RPM package. Unfortunately, the script need to be updated because there are several changes in OOo 3.0.1. Since at that time the script hasn't been updated by Robby (the current maintainer), i choose to use rpm2tgz to convert the RPM packages into tgz.

Based on my past problem, i find all files which should ends with .xml that gets converted into .xm and fixed it as soon as possible. Well, actually in OOo 3.0.1, the problem not only gets through .xml files, but also to .xcs and .xcu. This is why i got an invisible Impress menu described in my other blog. I reported into OOo issue tracker and the problem has been fixed in just two days.

For those who had the same problem as i do, use this command to find which files which gets renamed
find /opt/openoffice.org* -name "*.xc"
I got this as the result in my system

/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/WriterFormWindowState.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/DbRelationWindowState.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/UI/BasicIDEWindowState.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/UI/DrawImpressCommands.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/UI/StartModuleCommands.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/UI/DbReportWindowState.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/Office/Common/Common-impress.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/res/en-US/org/openoffice/Office/UI/ChartWindowState.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/res/en-US/org/openoffice/Office/UI/BasicIDECommands.xc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/registry/res/en-US/org/openoffice/Office/ExtendedColorScheme.xc

The solution is very simple. Rename all .xc in schema directory into .xcs and the rest are .xcu. After doing this, restart your OOo and voila, everything is back to normal again.

Since SlackBuild script for OOo 3.0.1 has been released, it's suggested that you use SlackBuild script instead of playing with rpm2tgz unless you want to do above update manually big grin