Friday, July 11, 2008

One At A Time

One by one, my colleagues are migrating to Linux. Today, i just helped another colleague of mine migrating to Slackware. He wanted to migrate to Linux for a long time, but in the past, whenever there's a temptation to use Windows again, he postponed his intention to use Linux until lately. He's very eager to try Linux and he wanted to do full migration, but he couldn't do it in one big step. For now, dual booting is the right choice, but he will try to use Linux as much as possible.

His first choice was Ubuntu. He tried using 7.04 (that's before he asked me to help him). It failed during partitioning phase. At this point, he asked me to look for it. I had Ubuntu 8.04 on my repository computer, so i tried to use it. The symptoms are the same, it failed during scanning the partition. I tried several ways, but i couldn't find the perfect solution for that.

Next trial is Mandriva 2008.1. Mandriva did detect the hard drive, but it couldn't find the correct driver for the device. It's a SATA hard drive with Intel SATA Controller (ICH 7 Family) on it. I tried to find some resources on the Internet, but no luck (perhaps i'm not too good at searching for hardware).

So finally i tried to use Slackware 12.1 (my favorite). Guess what? Yep.., it works perfectly cool. It detects the hard drive perfectly and the installation was supposed to be smooth if not for my mistake that i had to repeat some process. I forgot to format some partition as ext3, so the /home and /data is still in FAT32. I ran a problem when i logged in to normal account, as the partition is owned by root and not by the local users. I deleted the normal users and i knew that i had to repeat the installation process (not all of them, but only during the partition setup).

I boot the Slackware DVD again from InfoLinux and i re-format the partition as ext3 and then i reboot to the system. It didn't find the /home and /data again, since the entries in /etc/fstab is still pointing to vfat, which should be ext3. No big problem, as i didn't have normal user yet. I edit the fstab, reboot, and voila.. all the partition is now in place.

Next is setting the system. I ran some small configuration and also upgrading the package to the latest version in -Stable tree. I also installed because this is the primary need. Firefox is installed from -Current plus a flash player. Too bad Pidgin still unable to bypass the proxy, so we still had to use web-based yahoo messenger client. Besides all of this, the rest is perfect for him. He will start his exploration next week.

Well, it's a big step today. We make changes by changing one people at a time. At certain point, we will be amazed on how many people has we changed in the past big grin