Skip to main content

Playing With Gnokii and Gnocky

I have a task from my lecturer from UGM to do some research about an application that can be used to communicate with mobile phones. We can make our own, or just look for an existing application. I decided to use Gnokii since i have Nokia on my stock. Since Gnokii doesn't need too much dependencies, i decided to build my own SlackBuild script and i have uploaded it to Indonesian SlackBuild Repository (feel free to use it).

I do have problem sending an sms from Gnokii, so i tried to install Gnocky, a GUI application that uses Gnokii as the base to make connection with the mobile phone (i used N70 which belongs to my father as the sample). I even make the SlackBuild script also.

When i plug my CA-53 cable into my Slackware box, i look over the dmesg result and i got this:
usb 3-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
usb 3-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0421, idProduct=043a
usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 3-3: Product: Nokia N70
usb 3-3: Manufacturer: Nokia
cdc_acm 3-3:1.8: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
It was detected just like what's described on Gnokii's Wiki. As soon as it's detected, you can start making your /etc/gnokiirc configuration file. Here's mine:
[global]
port = /dev/ttyACM0
model = series60
initlength = default
connection = dku2libusb
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10
[xgnokii]
allow_breakage = 0
[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
TELEPHONE = 12345678
[disconnect_script]
[logging]
debug = on
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off
When you are done with the configuration, just run gnocky application. Just to be sure you have used root account to run the application as you will need to access /dev/ttyACM0 (it depends on the cables you used i think).

I have been able to send SMS message from Gnocky to my own mobile phone, but i wasn't able to retrieve all other information, like calendar and contact. Probably it was me who don't know or probably i had misconfiguration. Well, at least i have something to play on this week big grin

Popular posts from this blog

Running Rsync Via Proxy

One way to get the latest Slackware updates is by running rsync to syncronize your local repository and the main repository that hold the Slackware packages. Eric Hameleers has provided a great script called rsync_current.sh and how i modified this tool has been discussed on my previous post. In general, it works, except for one problem, when your computer is connecting to the Internet through a proxy.

My workstation at my office is connected to the Internet through a proxy, so i can't use normal rsync to work normally. I browsed the web and i found this site which tells us about how we should modify our squid configuration to allow rsync connection from any computer from our local networks. I asked my sysadmin to try this script. He agreed and he updated the squid configuration on the proxy.

Next, i need to update my environment variable RSYNC_PROXY to the host of the proxy and also the port. Let's say you are running a proxy on 192.168.1.1 and port 8080, then you need to run …

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

NVidia has released an updated legacy drivers to support X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23. It has been mentioned in the UNIX drivers, but you can directly find the drivers from the links below:
NVidia 304.134 (x86x86_64)NVidia 340.101 (x86, x86_64) I have tested the 304.134 driver and it's working great here. I can finally remove x from my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file since it's a showstopper for me.
Aside from legacy driver, NVidia has also released their latest driver 375.26 (x86, x86_64), which brings support for newer cards and also many new features (including X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23 support). 

Security Update: firefox, irssi, pidgin

Three security updates were released for today:
firefox: Upgraded to 45.4.0esr for 14.1 and 14.2 and 49.0 for currentirssi: Upgraded to 0.8.20pidgin: Upgraded to 2.10.11, 2.10.12, and 2.11.0 for all stable Slackware releases depending on their support Some minor update in current:
mkinitrd: Add dmsetup supportemacs: Upgraded to 25.1qt: Fix multilib issue network-scripts: Fix minor issue