Sunday, June 1, 2008

Playing With Gnokii and Gnocky

I have a task from my lecturer from UGM to do some research about an application that can be used to communicate with mobile phones. We can make our own, or just look for an existing application. I decided to use Gnokii since i have Nokia on my stock. Since Gnokii doesn't need too much dependencies, i decided to build my own SlackBuild script and i have uploaded it to Indonesian SlackBuild Repository (feel free to use it).

I do have problem sending an sms from Gnokii, so i tried to install Gnocky, a GUI application that uses Gnokii as the base to make connection with the mobile phone (i used N70 which belongs to my father as the sample). I even make the SlackBuild script also.

When i plug my CA-53 cable into my Slackware box, i look over the dmesg result and i got this:
usb 3-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
usb 3-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0421, idProduct=043a
usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 3-3: Product: Nokia N70
usb 3-3: Manufacturer: Nokia
cdc_acm 3-3:1.8: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
It was detected just like what's described on Gnokii's Wiki. As soon as it's detected, you can start making your /etc/gnokiirc configuration file. Here's mine:
[global]
port = /dev/ttyACM0
model = series60
initlength = default
connection = dku2libusb
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10
[xgnokii]
allow_breakage = 0
[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
TELEPHONE = 12345678
[disconnect_script]
[logging]
debug = on
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off
When you are done with the configuration, just run gnocky application. Just to be sure you have used root account to run the application as you will need to access /dev/ttyACM0 (it depends on the cables you used i think).

I have been able to send SMS message from Gnocky to my own mobile phone, but i wasn't able to retrieve all other information, like calendar and contact. Probably it was me who don't know or probably i had misconfiguration. Well, at least i have something to play on this week big grin