Saturday, January 26, 2008

KDE 4 Everywhere

Right now, most blog about Linux will probably talk about KDE 4 (if they use KDE as their window manager). It's one of the big release for Open Source project on this early year. Even one of my student have tried to install KDE 4 on his new Slackware 12.0 installation (he choose not to install KDE at installation so he can have clean KDE installation starting 4.0). I have seen KDE 4 and it is amazing. Almost every parts changed. For example, you will not have a tall menu list, but instead, you will get a left/right menu ordering. Some default application is placed on the desktop (i thought it was an image, but actually it was a shortcut blushing)

I tried to convince myself that KDE 4 is still not ready for every users (including me). Many application is still not ready (for example K3B and Amarok which i often used). I tried to start the battery monitor, but i couldn't find it in the KDE System Settings (it was previously called KDE Control Center). There was an icon saying about power control, but no laptop battery configuration. I think it still need external application to do that.

Probably i will just wait for the updates in the upcoming months. KDE is planning to release minor updates every months until KDE 4.1 is released, which should be in June 2008. I hope when it comes to KDE 4.1, most spot that were known as bugs have been fixed thus it can be as stable as KDE 3.5.x