Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Slow Boot

Ever since i upgraded to 2.6.23, my laptop's boot time has increased, due to a problem which i hadn't time to analyze it further, but my guest is that i pick the wrong options when new questions arose when i build the new kernel, so today, i upgrade my laptop's kernel to I know, it's not related to any boot up, since it only fix sata problem, but i want to start a new fresh kernel compilation, so i used the old 2.6.22.x kernel configuration and use make oldconfig to make the configurator asked for new features/drivers.

Now my laptop does boot faster then before, but still one problem left. It took too much time when detecting Yenta TI device. I don't know what that is, but i guess it's PCMCIA devices. I didn't start rc.pcmcia, but udev probably loads it, so my option will be disabling it by adding it to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. I'll let it be for the moment, as long as it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to boot big grin

This Yenta problem seems to be a known issue. And it only appears on my system after i upgrade to 2.6.23-based kernels. I don't have this issue on 2.6.22. I hope they will fix it on 2.6.24.

Btw, here's the report from dmesg:
Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:02:04.0 [1025:007a]
Yenta: Using CSCINT to route CSC interrupts to PCI
Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
Yenta TI: socket 0000:02:04.0, mfunc 0x89501212, devctl 0x44
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x00d8, PCI irq 10
Socket status: 30000006
Yenta: Raising subordinate bus# of parent bus (#02) from #02 to #06

The bold one indicates where the process stopped for some time (probbing i guess).