Saturday, September 2, 2006

Greetings to Slackware

This will be my new post on my new blog which provided by the new Beta Blogger. It will be some kind of logs of my slackware-current system which i installed on my laptop. For preliminary post, i will describe why i pick Slackware and not the other distro on my laptop.

Well, i bought a laptop in 2005 when i almost finish my study in Duta Wacana Christian University. My laptop model was Acer TravelMate 4150 NLCi and it has a console-based GNU/Linux distro pre-installed. First, i was curious what was that, so i looked at it for a bit, but it wasn't a complete distro, so i decided to install Mandriva, my favourite distro at that time. I booted Mandriva 2005 CD and install it. Everything works fine until i reboot my system and i had a kernel panic. I tried to fix it but had no luck. I have exactly the same configuration as my desktop, but it always ended with a kernel panic, since it couldn't find my root partition and the kernel image, even though i have entered the correct path. I tried Ubuntulinux and it couldn't be read from my DVD. The only remaining CD that is available is only Slackware 10.1, and so i tried to installed it on my laptop. That was my second experience installing Slackware as i have done it before when i tried Slackware 8.1 from Infolinux CD.

Next, i'm kindda a person who likes to use the state-of-the-art version, so i started to use -current version rather than stable and it continued up to now. The advantage of using -current is that you will get the latest version of the packages which sometimes contains new features. Other advantage is that -current will be the next Slackware release, so by following -current, you don't need to reinstall or upgrade your system at all (but it will be a good idea to have the next Slackware release for backup as it can be considered a baseline. By having the latest release, you only need to update relatively small packages rather than from the previous release). The disadvantage is that it might broke your system if you didn't read the changelog or the warning Pat gives in his changelog. But, as far as i experienced, most of the packages were working (at least in my case). So, i decided that i will continue to use -current for my laptop.